When root vegetables are consumed regularly they can have a grounding effect, and oftentimes they are used for helping those who are struggling with food cravings. They offer a variety of flavors and can be prepared in many ways. Let’s talk about one root vegetable in particular, the sweet potato.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, and rich in fiber. They are also high in antioxidants. This week we are sharing a fun way to enjoy sweet potatoes as a dessert that will surely leave you feeling all the fall feels.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tsp. Pure Maple Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Using a fork, poke some holes in your sweet potato. *Do not peel the potato*.
- Place your sweet potato on a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cook for 30-45 mins depending on size. If a fork passes through the middle of the potato with ease, it is done.
- Let stand for 20-30 mins
- Once cool enough to touch, peel the potato and place in bake safe dish; discard peelings
- Using the back of your fork, mash the potato until it looks like mashed potatoes.
- Add butter and mix well
- Sprinkle maple sugar on top and place it back into the oven for 10 mins.
**For additional flavor you can add spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg. If you like texture, try adding chopped walnuts or pecans.
Dr. Horowitz & Staff